Wednesday, November 08, 2006

DZRJ on a roll

Honestly, I was pleseantly surprised to learn that DZJR-FM 100.3, the flagship station of Rajah Broadcasating Network Inc. landed in the top five most listened-to FM stations in Metro Manila for 2006.
More surprisingly, it was the top adult contemporary FM station, as the other FM stations in the top five were more of mass-based FM stations, beating each other out for a slice of the "masa" listeners ("Jolog stations" as one RJ executive described).
RJ caters to the baby boomers, the older generation of FM music listeners, mainly the decision-makers.
It's current tag is "the greatest and the latest", but in reality their playlist focuses on the "oldest" songs.
I am fond of oldies so I am an avid RJ100 fan, just like my friend John Lee.
John Lee lives in a remote town in Zamboangga del Norte called Liloy and there is no internet connectivity there.
I urged him to purchase a laptop and get SMART We roam so he can tune to his favorite station DZRJ.
He obliged, and he never regretted the P50,000 investment, just to be able to hook up with RJ100.
RJ100 I notice has boosted its improved music program and has been aggressive in markerting and promoting its station and selling media air space.
I thought before, DZRJ was too much of rock and roll, perhaps taking cue from its captain of the airwaves RJ Jacinto, who is one of the country's foremost band players.
By the way, RJ Jacinto and his radio will always be part of Philippine history as it was his AM station that remained on the air at the height of the 1986 people power revolution at EDSA, which became the mouthpiece of the unstoppable anti-Marcos civilian and "rebel" forces who flocked at EDSA on that fatefull days of February 1986.
I don't know much about RJ Jacinto having met him only once in a radio booth in the province when he ran for senator. But I see him as the human definition of "passion". He has passion for broadcast.
Goiong back to radyo bandido, the Marcos soldiers couldn't locate RJ's station because it changed the frequency it operated on, thus, nobody in the government or military then can identify or locate the renegade station.
It was June Kiethley who anchored this rebel station calling it self "Radyo Bandido" dishing out information helpful to the rebels and the people at EDSA who were hungry for information at that time.
Anyway, DZRJ-AM is still on the air taking on much lesser politics, but always ready for the next political upheaval.
I met and discussed some radio matters with one of DZRJ's executives Bong Banez.
I was just controlling myself and stopped short of telling him how much I missed radio.
I hope and pray something will come out that would give a dose of relief to this longing for "radio activity".

No comments: