Sunday, November 25, 2007

A wireless landline?

Techonology in the communicatons front continues to advance and evolve.
Now, there is the so-called wireless landline.
This appears to be a contradictory in terms.
A "landline" usually refers to that telephone in the house or in the office which is stationary, and cannot be brought outside.
That differentiates it from the cell phone because the cell phone is "mobile".
This means that the cellphone service is to affor conveinience to the user in the sense that even if he is outside, as long as there is a "signal" one can contact other phones (whether cell phone or landlines) wherever the caller is.
But now, the landline had become wireless and is now no different from that of the cell phone.
Bayan Tel wireless is the among the first to offer "wireless landline" phones.
In other words, you can call with a "landline" phone from anywhere, as long as there is a signal, just like a cell phone.
If you have a Bayan wireless landline, and you call another landline phone, whether residential or business, or another wireless landline phone, there are no charges.
It has made a significant impact to one's professional undertakings.
For one thing, if you have a wireless landline, anybody can use another landline phone and call you for free (unlike the cellphone which imposes call charges) wherever you are, as long as you are within the signal range.
Right now, Bayan wireless is usable all over Metro Manila and some say even as far as Tagaytay and Laguna.
I got stung by the wireless landline immediately, because I saw the immediate benefits and practicalities.
With a wireless landline, I am my own secretary.
My business card bears a wireless landline number. If you call me in that number, I am the one who will answer (free of charge to the caller who uses a another landline phone).
Just last Saturday, I was in meeting in a coffee shop.
Instantly, I converted the coffee shop into a virtual office because I had with me my laptop and a wireless landline phone.
There are no charges if you call from your wireless land line, and you call another landline.
It has other features like text-message capability, internet capability, long distance (national or international).
Of course if you call a cell phone, or send a text message, or call long distance, then there are charges.
You can acquire a wirless landline by making an initial purchase of P1,995 for the unit, and a monthly charge of P699.
Another advantage is that people are now getting a wireless landline, rather than applying with the regular landline from telecom companies which take so long a time before applicants get a line.
One day I went to Greenhills, the center of bargain sales on just about anything, I saw a lot of stalls having their own wireless landline units and making business out of it by charging P5 per call.
The only thing is that my wireless landline unit is as big as the regular landline unit. It is very bulky, and I look like a telephone line man going around with that unit.
However, there are wireless landline units as tiny as cell phones, but they have limited features (like no internet feature).
The wireless landline of course, has a long way to go because its coverage is still the Metro Manila area.
But once this goes nationwide, I think this will be furtehr revolutionize wireless communications.

No comments: