Thursday, January 24, 2008

Insurance endorsements allowed

Let me post a reaction to my recent blog on insurance claims, in cases when the vehicle is sold from one owner to another:

I am an IBP member now based in the US.
In my humble opinion, and correct me if I'm wrong, the new owner may yet claim benefits under the insurance of the former owner. This is only possible if the former owner had endorsed his unexpired interest in the insurance in favor of the new owner.

Jay's reaction:

You are correct, Sir.
If there is an endorsement, and the insurance company doesn't object, the insurance company waives the protections of the insurance law.
In reality, the insurance company usually won't object to endorsements, if the one year period of coverage has not lapsed.
It's a good business decision because the insurance company is after the renewal of the insurance policy for the next year, this time by the new vehicle owner.

No comments: