Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Bais Boys of yester-years


I got a picture of once young (party) boys of Bais City, land of many haciendas and sugar plantations.
If you come from Bais City and perhaps was born in the 1940's, you would be able to recognize these "boys".
From left standing: Panchito Garcia (deceased), Tony Ortigas (not from Bais), Jaime Yoldi, Martin Sagarbarria, Tony Yoldi, Enriquito Llanderal (deceased), Chitong Sagarbarria, Manuel 'Manolet' Teves, Carlitos Longa.
Sitting from left: Bodigos Montenegro (I was told he died in a plane crash in Manila in the late 1960s), Bingo Larabaster, Pastor Joseph "Bebeng" Saad, Gogot Perdices, Ruben Carballo, and a certain Sienes.
One of "boys" from the pictures tried to recall when this picture was taken.
He said it was most probably taken at the Nuestra Senora Del Pilar in Bais City during one summer in the early 1960's.
I can recognize only a some of them. Definitely I belong to some other generation.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, My names Miguel Montenegro Alvarez., my uncle is one that died in the plane crash, never had the chance to see how he looked like till I saw your pictures. he was one of thirteen children of Nicholas Montenegro, From Cambuilao, Bais.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm a Villanueva from Bais and yes, I do recognize a few, but they're way older than I. Thanks for this picture, I'd like to pass it along to my son who is a Montenegro from Cambuilao.

Anonymous said...

I'm a Vicente from Bais and of the same age bracket as the "Bais Boys." The picture you posted brought back many wonderful memories of our parties, but it also made me sad to see our dear Panchito, Enriquito and Budigos who are no longer with us.

Anonymous said...

I was surfing the 'net and came upon this post & picture. I remember a Felix Montenegro whose nickname was "Bodigos" from Bais when I was a US Peace Corps Volunteer there from '65 through '67. That picture shows him rather younger than when I knew him, and thus, must have been taken in the late '50's. He was a great guy, and we all had wonderful adventures during my time there. I many even have some pictures of him around. He later visited me in New York, but I never heard from him after '69. I am very sorry that he has passed. What a shame! He knew many languages and was a great credit to his family.
Please pass this comment and my email to Mr. Miguel Montenegro Alvarez.
Thanks and regards,
Robert "Bob" Levine
pblevine@ix.netcom.com