Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Me and the World Trade Center


People say a picture can tell a thousand stories.
I have a picture that confirms this.
One of the photographs I have kept is the one taken by my Tito Bobong.
He took my picture with the Manhattan skyline hosting the World Trade Center in the background.
The World Trade Center is no more. Only tragic memories remain.
This picture was tkaken during our trip to the Statue of Liberty aboard a ferry.
Everytime I look at this picture, the horrific events of September 11, 2001 immediately come to mind. It must be because prominently shown in the photo are the twin towers.
I remember I went to the house of a close friend at around 9 p.m. on September 11 2001. We were watching CNN when suddenly there was a breaking news that a plane smashed onto a tower of the WTC. As we continued to montior, there were reports of other planes also came crashing to other major locations like the Pentagon.
We then concluded that there was an attack on America.
We immediately sent text messages to friends and relatives that America is under siege.
My cousin Kathlyn migrated to New York just before 9/11. She said she frequently passed by WTC, and always postponed a visit, telling herself that the WTC will always be there.
This are the memories that roam my mind everytime I look at this picture.


No comments: