Thursday, August 27, 2009

Governor's reply

Let me print the reply of the governor to last week's query on the on-going road construction along Negros Oriental highways:

24 August 2009

ATTY. M. MIKHAIL LEE L. MAXINO
Director, Dr. Jovito R. Salonga
Center for Law and Development
Silliman University

Dear Atty. Maxino:

Thank you for your letter of 19 August 2009 re the on-going road constructions in the province.

May I inform you that even before this was brought to my attention, I have discussed the same questions you raised in your letter with the District Engineer of the Department of Public Works and Highways, District II, and later with the Congressman of the Second District and I am basically satisfied with their explanations.

Please know that since there are nationally-funded projects, the undersigned was not involved nor notified in the implementation of these projects, hence I have no control over the same.

However, I took the initiative of getting the cooperation of Mayors and the Barangay Captains in areas where there are on-going road construction to monitor compliance of the Contractors and to be ready to render assistance to the commuting public when necessary. Moreover, the Provincial Government also assisted contractors by identifying quarry areas nearest the project sites where the Contractors can source materials to speed up completion.

Should you need a more detailed answers to your questions, may I refer you to the Office of the District Engineer, DPWH-Dumaguete. With the inconveniences we are all experiencing at present because of the government’s efforts to provide wider and better roads for everyone, may I request our motorists driving up North to be careful and patient while on the road. These are only temporary delays that we have to bear in the name of progress.

Once again, thank you for bringing the matter to our attention and God bless us all!

Yours in service,

EMILIO C. MACIAS II, M..D.
Governor

Meanwhile, my Canada-based former classmate Grace Lim gave her observations when there are infrastructure projects in her place:

"Everyone I know in Dumaguete are complaining about this gyud!
Allow me to share one thing I admire about this place where I am now in terms of infrastructure projects: when the sidewalk near our house was being fixed, houseowners got notices detailing the job and time-frame around 2 weeks before the actual start of the project.
When the job started, all means of ensuring public safety and convenience were in place. They did what they had to do on schedule.
And one thing ako gi believe-ban, they even replanted the grass which was affected by the project.. gitagaan pa mi ug instructions on how to care for the sod!
That's it...

But for all the quirks, Dumaguete is still where my heart is!
Best regards
."

No comments: